Most of us don’t reach for the apple cider vinegar first thing when we want to lose weight, however, it’s actually been shown recently to help aid weight loss when used in conjunction with diet & exercise. How exactly does it work?
ACV is high in acetic acid, and is a potent antimicrobial agent which has great biological effects, such as killing bacteria.
ACV can lower blood sugar levels, which is great news for diabetics and people who want to lose weight.
ACV may benefit heart health and protect against cancer.
So How Do You Use Apple Cider Vinegar?
- Add some to your cooking, such as in salad dressings or mixed with mayonnaise.
- Drink it as a beverage by diluting 1-2 teaspoons to 1-2 tablespoons in a glass of water.
- Take a ACV supplement in pill or tablet forms.
How does ACV help weight loss?
Sipping on a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water before your meals can help lower your blood glucose levels. It has start-blocking powers that can help you lose weight. Japanese researchers have associated apple cider vinegar with reduced body weight and BMI, smaller waist circumference and lower serum triglyceride levels.
Generally, dieticians are skeptical of the weight-loss power of ACV, however, as long as you can handle acidic foods and apple cider vinegar doesn’t cause any discomfort, there won’t be negative side effects. Just be sure that:
- You get a quality ACV with 5% acidity.
- You only have a little of it, just before meals, or on your salad.
- You don’t expect miracles.
It will take some time, so it’s best to consider it a healthy addition to your lifestyle.